Wednesday 23 January, 2013

Doors




The Doors
Dragging at my feet are doors galore
Some never opened
Some relocked and
Key tossed down the throat
With a vodka shot

Rusted locks tempt me with promises
Of treasures lost
Destinies misplaced
Turns I missed
Choices never mine to make

Doors rankle with every step
Grow heavier by minute
Bogging me down with
What isn’t but should have been
Or could have been

Freedom is what I seek
From gnawing pustules
Of yesterdays and tomorrows
To rise and soar
Unshackled, Unbridled, Unaffected

2 comments:

  1. The Doors is one of those poems that struck me right away in a way that was so personal. Doors, or possibilities, paths we may have chosen but didn't, rooms we could have entered but did not because of fears, must haunt those who have never experienced a sense of freedom or a life removed from fear. The first stanza is great poetry, colloquial language and vivid ending with a powerful image! This poem moved me because I too have not entered the doors I should have, because of fears and worries. How many others are the same? I suspect many! I think this is a poem that reflects the frustrations and wishes of so many people trapped by fears and wishing they could move on, wondering if freedom is real, hoping it is, longing for it in order to "rise and soar." This is a great poem, Nalini. It moved me a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gary for taking time to read the poem and write critique. journey through this world is mostly a lonely endevour. It is one thing to write and express and another to be understood and empathized. I am glad that my this poem could find a resonance in your heart.

    ReplyDelete